Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Matthew 11:28-30 Annotated

Key:
What we are told to do
What we are promised

Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.29Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30Yes, my yoke is easyand my burden light.'

Come” = δεῦτε or deute= come hither, come here, come: followed by an imperative; come after me 

shoulder” = αἴρω or airō= to take upon oneself and carry what has been raised, to bear

yoke” (v.29) and “yoke” (v. 30) = ζυγός or zygos= laws imposed on one *** the commands of Christ 

learn” = μανθάνω or manthanō= to learn by use and practice

rest” (v. 28) =ἀναπαύω or anapauō= to recover and collect [] strength

rest” (v. 29) = ἀνάπαυσις or anapausis= tranquility of soul 

gentle” = πραΰς or praÿs=  that disposition of spirit in which we accept [God’s] dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting * * * the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation.

humble” = ταπεινός or tapeinos= lowly in spirit

No comments: