Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Intensely, desirously, pervasively loving God, part 2 (readings for Nov. 4, 2018)

Key:
What these passages tell us about God
What these passages tell us to do
Commentary
Hyperlink

Reading 1 DT 6:2-6
Moses spoke to the people, saying: "Fear the LORD, your God, and keep, throughout the days of your lives, all his statutes and commandments which I enjoin on you, and thus have long life.  

Hear then, Israel, and be careful to observe themthat you may grow and prosper the more, in keeping with the promise of the LORD, the God of your fathers, to give you a land flowing with milk and honey.

"
Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone!  Therefore, you shall love the LORD, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength.  Take to heart these words which I enjoin on you today."

Responsorial Psalm PS 18:2-3, 3-4, 47, 51
R. (2) I love youLord, my strength.
I love you, O LORD, my strength, O LORD, my rockmy fortressmy deliverer.
R. 
I love youLord, my strength.
My God, my rock of refugemy shieldthe horn of my salvation,my stronghold
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies.
R. 
I love youLord, my strength.
The LORD lives! And blessed be my rockExtolled be God my saviorYou who gave great victories to your king and showed kindnessto your anointed.
R. 
I love youLord, my strength.

Reading 2 HEB 7:23-28
The levitical priests were many because they were prevented by death from remaining in office, but Jesus, because he remains foreverhas a priesthood that does not pass away. Therefore, he is always able to save those who approach God through him,  since he lives forever to make intercession for them.

It was fitting that we should have such a high priest: holyinnocentundefiledseparated from sinnershigher than the heavensHe has no need, as did the high priests, to offer sacrifice day after day, first for his own sins and then for those of the people; he did that once for all when he offered himself.  For the law appoints men subject to weakness to be high priests, but the word of the oath, which was taken after the law, appoints a son, who has been made perfect forever.

Alleluia JN 14:23
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Whoever loves me will 
keep my word, says the Lord; and my father will love him and we will come to him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel MK 12:28B-34
One of the scribes came to Jesus and asked him, "Which is the first of all the commandments?"

Jesus replied, "The first is this: Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord aloneYou shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind,and with all your strengthThe second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourselfThere is no other commandment greater than these." 

The scribe said to him, "Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, 'He is One and there is no other than he.' And 'to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself' is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

And when Jesus saw that he answered with understanding, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

-->
In a previous post we looked the intensity and pervasiveness of the love described in the gospel and the first reading. How do we develop that love? 

One way is through gratitude for what God has done. That draws us closer to Him and enhances our affection and desire for Him.

1.    That is exemplified in the Psalm 18, the source of the responsorial psalm in these readings. In it, David recalls the many specific blessings God has bestowed on him and from them draws general conclusions about God’s exceeding goodness. That stokes David’s love for God. Consistent with that, St. Paul stresses the importance of continually thanking God for His goodness. See 1 Thessalonians 5:18Ephesians 5:20and Colossians 3:16

-->
2.    That same dynamic applies when we are in difficult situations. Sirach 2:10 tells us to recall God’s demonstrated faithfulness when our love is challenged by tough circumstances.  That too grows our love, and does so when we need it most. 

No comments: