Saturday, May 25, 2019

What Jesus Said About the Holy Spirit

When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; 20for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about how[a] you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; 12for the Holy Spirit will teach youat that very hourwhat you ought to say.”

Footnotes:

a.    Luke 12:11 Other ancient authorities add or what

“I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate,[a] the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach youeverything, and remind you of all that I have said to you
Footnotes:
a.    John 14:26 Or Helper

Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate[a]will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you8And when he comes, he will prove the world wrongabout[b] sin and righteousness and judgment9about sin, because they do not believe in me; 10about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer; 11about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.
12“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13When the Spirit of truthcomes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come14He will glorify me, becausehe will take what is mine and declare it to you15All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
Footnotes:
a.    John 16:7 Or Helper
b.  John 16:8 Or convict the world of

4While staying[a] with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. “This,” he said, “is what you have heard from me; 5for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spiritnot many days from now.”
***
8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnessesin Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 

Footnotes:

a.    Acts 1:4 Or eating
-->
b.  Acts 1:5 Or by

No comments: