Friday, June 28, 2019

God is a loving shepherd; we should trustingly follow Him (readings for June 28, 2019 annotated)

Key:
What these scriptures tell us about God
What these scriptures tell us to do
Hyperlinks to other resources
Commentary  

Reading 1   Ezekiel 34:11-16  
Thus says the Lord GOD:

I myself will look after and tend my sheep

As a shepherd tends his flock when he finds himself among his scattered sheep, so will I tend my sheep.

I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark.

I will lead them out from among the peoples and gather them from the foreign lands; I will bring them back to their own country and pasture them upon the mountains of Israel in the land's ravines and all its inhabited places.

In good pastures will I pasture them, and on the mountain heights of Israel shall be their grazing ground.

There they shall lie down on good grazing ground, and in rich pastures shall they be pastured on the mountains of Israel.

I myself will pasture my sheepI myself will give them rest, says the Lord GOD.

The lost I will seek out,the strayed I will bring backthe injured I will bind upthe sick I will heal, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy, shepherding them rightly.

Responsorial Psalm  Psalm 23:1-3A, 3B-4, 5, 6  
R.(1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 In verdant pastures he gives me reposebeside restful waters he leads me;he refreshes my soul.
R. 
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
He guides me in right paths for his name's sake. 
Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side
with your rod and your staff that give me courage.
R. 
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
R. 
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall 
dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.
R. 
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Reading 2  Romans 5:5-11  
Brothers and sisters:
The love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us. For Christ, while we were still helpless, died at the appointed time for the ungodly.

Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. How much more then, since we are now justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath. Indeed, if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, once reconciled, will we be saved by his life.

Not only that, but we also boast of God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Alleluia Matthew 11:29
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Take my yoke upon you, says the Lord, and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.
R. 
Alleluia, alleluia.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord, I know my sheep, and 
mine know me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel Luke 15:3-7     
Jesus addressed this parable to the Pharisees and scribes:
"What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds itAnd when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,  'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.'
I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance."


What these scriptures tell us about God
I myself will look after and tend my sheep
he finds himself among his scattered sheep
I tend my sheep.
I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark.
I will lead them out
gather them
I will bring them back
pasture them
In good pastures will I pasture them
they shall lie down on good grazing ground
in rich pastures shall they be pastured
I myself will pasture my sheep
I myself will give them rest
The lost I will seek out
he strayed I will bring back
the injured I will bind up
the sick I will heal
In verdant pastures he gives me repose
beside restful waters he leads me
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me in right paths
you are at my side
your rod and your staff that give me courage
You spread the table before me
The love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us
Christ, while we were still helpless, died at the appointed time for the ungodly
God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.
I am meek and humble of heart.
I am the good shepherd
I know my sheep
go after the lost one until he finds it
And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.'
joy in heaven over one sinner who repents

What these scriptures tell us to do
The Lord is my shepherd
The LORD is my shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd
Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil
The Lord is my shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd
dwell in the house of the LORD 
The Lord is my shepherd
Take my yoke upon you
learn from me
know me.
Commentary 
Today’s readings call to mind paragraph 1 of Catechism of the Catholic Church:  

God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Saviour. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

No comments: