Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Readings for April 25, 2021 annotated, lectionary 50


This translation is from the New American Bible. The bolded hyperlinks  will take you to additional translations. The entire chapter is included to provide context. 

Information about the meaning the original Hebrew or Greek of what seem to be key words is provided in blue.  They are provided beneath the reading they relate to. 

Excerpts collected in yellow  at the end of this post tell us something about God’s nature or our relationship to Him. 

Excerpts collected in green  at the end of this post tell us about something God wants us to do. 

Excerpts collected in red  at the end of this post tell us about something God wants us not to do.  

Reading I

Acts 4:8-12

Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said:
“Leaders of the people and elders: If we are being examined today about a good deed done to a cripple, namely, by what means he was saved, then all of you and all the people of Israel should know that it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before you healed. He is the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone.There is no salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.”
 

Responsorial Psalm

Psalm 118:8-9, 21-23, 26, 28, 29

R.  (22) The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.
R.  The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.
I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior.
The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes.
R. The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD; we bless you from the house of the LORD.
I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his kindness endures forever.
R. The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.

Reading II

1 John 3:1-2

Beloved:
See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are.

The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

 

know =γινσκω =ginōskō

Blue Letter Bible

This verb represents knowledge as the effect of experience; perceive, feel; "to be taking in knowledge, to come to know, recognize, understand," or "to understand completely"; in its past tenses it frequently means "to know in the sense of realizing";"to know by observation and experience," is translated "to learn;"to become acquainted with;to come to know; idiom: to have sexual relations with

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

come to know, perceive; now by reflection, know by observation;discern, distinguish, recognize; perceive; feel

see = πτνομαι = optanomai

Blue Letter Bible

to look at, behold

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon 

Look, look towards; have sight; take or give heed; behold, perceive, observe; keeping it in sight; look out for, provide; discern, perceive

 

Alleluia

John 10:14

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

know—see above

 

Gospel

John 10:11-18

Jesus said:
“I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 

A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep.

I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.

This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.”

know, knows—see above

hear = κοω = akouō

Blue Letter Bible

Harkin to; to attend to, consider what is or has been said; to understand, perceive the sense of what is said; to give ear to a teaching or a teacher; to comprehend; to perceive anyone's voice; to yield to, hear and obey; have regard to; to perceive the distinct words of a voice; to yield obedience to the voice; to perceive in the soul

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

hearken, give ear; listen to; obey; hear and understand; 


What these readings tell us about God/His Ways:

filled with the Holy Spirit

it was in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazorean ... whom God raised from the dead; in his name this man stands before you healed

He is the stone rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone

There is no salvation through anyone else

The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone
he is good

his mercy endures forever
The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone
you have answered me and have been my savior
The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone
By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes
The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD

you have answered me and have been my savior.
he is good

his kindness endures forever
The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone

what love the Father has bestowed on us

we may be called the children of God

we are God’s children now

what we shall be has not yet been revealed.

when it is revealed we shall be like him
we shall see him as he is

I am the good shepherd, says the Lord

I know my sheep, and mine know me

I am the good shepherd

A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep

I am the good shepherd

I know mine and mine know me

the Father knows me and I know the Father

I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold

These also I must lead

they will hear my voice

there will be one flock, one shepherd.
the Father loves me

I lay down my life in order to take it up again

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own

I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again

This command I have received from my Father

What these readings tell us to do:

Give thanks to the LORD

take refuge in the LORD

take refuge in the 

give thanks 

give thanks 
Give thanks to the LORD

know him
see him as he is

know me.

A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep 

know me

hear my voice

there will be one flock, one shepherd

 

What these readings tell us not to do:

trust in man

trust in princes
runs away

has no concern for the sheep

 

No comments: