Sunday, February 13, 2022

John 6:35-59 Annotated

This translation is from the English Standard Version. Other translations can be accessed at the bolded hyperlink  below. The entire chapter is linked in order to provide context. 

Information about the meaning the original Greek of what seem to be key words is provided in blue.  

Portions highlighted in yellow  at the end of this post tell us something about God’s nature or our relationship to Him. 

Portions in green text  at the end of this post tell us about something God wants us to do.

Portions in red text  at the end of this post tell us about something God does not want us to do. 

John 6:35-59

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

41So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 

43Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me— 46not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father. 47Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

52The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

 53So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.  55For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57As the living Father sentme, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum.

bread = ρτος = artos  Blue Letter Bible  a small loaf or cake, composed of flour and water, and baked, in shape either oblong or round, and about as thick as the thumb; food composed of flour mixed with water and baked;food of any kind; to take food, to eat;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  cake or loaf of wheat-bread   

come = ρχομαι = erchomai  Blue Letter Bible denoting either to come, or to go, signifies the act, in contrast with heko, which stresses the arrival; to come from one place to another; to come into being, arise, come forth, show itself, find place or influence; to come to a thing; to go;Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon   start, set out; come or go; to go a journey; any kind of motion

hunger = πεινω = peinaō   Blue Letter Bible  to suffer want; to be needy; to crave ardently, to seek with eager desire; famish; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  to be starved; hunger after, crave

believes = πιστεω = pisteuō  Blue Letter Bible  to be persuaded of, and hence, to place confidence in, to trust, signifies, in this sense of the word, reliance upon, not mere credence; to entrust, commit to; to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in; to credit; the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul; mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith; put in trust with; a conviction, full of joyful trust ... conjoined with obedience; to have a faith directed unto, believing or in faith to give oneself up to; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  trust, put faith in, rely on; entertain a confident opinion; comply; believe that, feel confident that a thing is, will be, has been; have faith; entrust

thirst = διψω = dipsaō  Blue Letter Bible  suffer from thirst; painfully feel their want of, and eagerly long for; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  to be thirsty, parched; thirst after a thing 

seen = ρω = horaō Blue Letter Bible  to see with the eyes; to see with the mind, to perceive, know; to take heed, beware; to care for, pay heed to; to attend to;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon   take, pay, or give heed; behold, perceive, observe; look out for, provide

raise = νστημι = anistēmi  Blue Letter Bibleto make to stand up; to cause to rise up, raise up; raise up from laying down;to raise up from the dead; cause to be born, to cause to appear, bring forward; prepare themselves for a journey; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon make to stand up, raise up; raise from sleep, wake up; raise from the dead; produce a witness; set up, build; build up again, restore; rouse to action, stir up; rise from bed or sleep; rise from an illness, recover; rise from the dead; rear itself; rise to go, set out, go away;to be compelled to migrate 

grumble, grumbled = γογγζω = gongyzō  Blue Letter Bible  to mutter, murmur, grumble, say anything in a low tone;of those who confer secretly together; of those who discontentedly complain; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon mutter, murmur, grumble   

sent = πμπω = pempō  Blue Letter Bible  to bid a thing to be carried to one; to send (thrust or insert) a thing into another; to dispatch (from the subjective view or point of departure); to transmit, bestow; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  send as a present; send in one's own service; cause to be sent   

draws = λκω = helkō  Blue Letter Bible  to draw by inward power, lead, impel; drag;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  draw, drag, with collateral notion of force or exertion; pull; tow; suck; attract 

taught = διδακτς = didaktos  Blue Letter Bible instructed, communicated

heard = κοω = akouō  Blue Letter Bible harkin to; to attend to, consider what is or has been said; to understand, perceive the sense of what is said; to give eartoa teaching or a teacher; to comprehend; to perceive anyone's voice; to yield to, hear and obey; have regard to; to perceive the distinct words of a voice; to yield obedience to the voice; to perceive in the soul; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon hearken, give ear; listen to; obey; hear and understand

learned = μανθνω = manthanō  Blue Letter Bible  to increase one's knowledge; to learn by inquiry, or observation; to ascertain; to learn by use and practice, to acquire the habit of, be accustomed to; be informed; to understand; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  learn, esp. by study (but also, by practice, experience); earn by heart; acquire a habit of; perceive, remark, notice; understand

 

eat = σθω = esthiō  Blue Letter Bible to eat up, devour; consume; to use to satisfy one's hunger;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  consume, devour, take into one’s mouth 

 

flesh = σρξ = sarx  Blue Letter Bible  the complete person; a living creature; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon the whole body

 

drink = πνω = pinō Blue Letter Bible to suck in, absorb, imbibe; to receive into the soul what serves to refresh strengthen, nourish it

life = ζω= zōē  Blue Letter Bible  the state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate;of the absolute fulness of life, both essential and ethical; life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed

feeds on= τργω = trōgō  Blue Letter Bible  to gnaw, to chew, stresses the slow process; it is used metaphorically of the habit of spiritually feeding upon Christ; the aorists here do not indicate a definite act, but view a series of acts seen in perspective; to gnaw, crunch, chew raw vegetables or fruits (as nuts, almonds);Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  gnaw, nibble, munch; eat 

abides = μνω = menō  Blue Letter Bible  continue; dwell; endure; stand; tarry; not to depart; to continue to be present; to remain as one, not to become another or different; to wait for, await one; to sojourn, tarry, to tarry as a guest, lodge; to maintain unbroken fellowship with one, adhere to his party; to be constantly present to help one; to put forth constant influence upon one;to dwell as it were within him, to be continually operative in him by his divine influence and energy; to be rooted as it were in him, knit to him; to persevere; cleaves, holds fast, to; to be held, or kept, continually; not to perish, to last, to endure; be still in (his) possession;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon   stand fast; stay at home, stay where one is; lodge, tarry; to be lasting, remain, stand; fixed, stable, permanent; abide; await, expect 

sent=ποστλλω = apostellō   Blue Letter Bible  to send forth; to send on service, or with a commission; to order (one) to go to a place appointed;ordered to be led away or conveyed to anyone;  Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon  send off or away; dispatch, on some mission or service  

live = ζω = zaō  Blue Letter Bible  be alive;  to live, breathe, be among the living (not lifeless, not dead); to enjoy real life, to have true life and worthy of the name; metaph. to be in full vigour, to be fresh, strong, efficient, thriving; active, powerful, efficacious; quick; life in its absolute fullness; vigorous spiritual life bringing forth good fruit; to devote, consecrate, life to one; so to live that life results in benefit to someone or to his cause; 


What this scripture tells us about God/His ways:

I am the bread of life

whoever comes to me shall not hunger

whoever believes in me shall never thirst

All that the Father gives me will come to me

whoever comes to me I will never cast out

I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me

this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day

this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Sonand believes in him should have eternal life

I will raise him up on the last day

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him

I will raise him up on the last day

they will all be taught by God

Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me

he who is from God

whoever believes has eternal life

I am the bread of life

I am the living bread that came down from heaven

If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever

the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you

Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day

my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink

Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him

the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father

whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me

Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever


What this scripture tells us to do:

seen me

believe

comes to me 

looks on the Son

believes in him

come to me 

taught by God

heard

learned from the Father

comes to me

believes

eats of this bread

feeds on my flesh

drinks my blood

feeds on this bread 


What this scripture tells us not to do:

grumble 

grumble among yourselves

No comments: