Sunday, May 08, 2022

John 10:14 annotated

This translation is from the New American Bible. Other translations, some with their own annotations, can be accessed at the hyperlink immediately below


John 10:14 
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.

good = καλς = kalos  Blue Letter Bible  beautiful, fair, in appearance; to look well, lit., "to be fair of face,” goodly, fair, beautiful, admirable, becoming; beautiful, handsome, excellent, eminent, choice, surpassing, precious, useful, suitable, commendable, admirable; shapely, magnificent; excellent in its nature and characteristics, and therefore well adapted to its ends; well adapted to its circumstances or ends; valuable or virtuous for appearance or use; expedient, profitable, wholesome; affecting the mind agreeably, comforting and confirming;  that which is ethically good, right, noble, honorable, honest; genuine, approved;  praiseworthy, noble; purity of heart and life; right, proper, becoming; honorable; conferring honor; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon  beautiful, beauteous, fair, beautiful of form; the decencies, proprieties, elegancies of life; auspicious; moral beauty, virtue; well, rightly, deservedly

 

-       This sounds a lot like Wisdom 7:22-23

 

shepherd = ποιμν = poimēn. Blue Letter Bible  one who tends herds or flocks (not merely one who feeds them); he to whose care and control others have committed themselves, and whose precepts they follow; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon   herdsman; captain, chief; pastor, teacher

 

know = γινσκω = ginōskō Blue Letter Bible knowledge as the effect of experience; perceive, feel; "to be taking in knowledge, to come to know, recognize, understand," or "to understand completely"; in its past tenses it frequently means "to know in the sense of realizing"; "to know by observation and experience," is translated "to learn;" to become acquainted with; to come to know; idiom: to have sexual relations with; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon come to know, perceive; now by reflection, know by observation; discern, distinguish, recognize; perceive; feel

 

my = μς = emos  Blue Letter Bible   that which I have; what I possess; proceeding from me; pertaining or relating to me; appointed for me; a possessive adjective of the first person, often used as a possessive pronoun with greater emphasis than the oblique forms of ego (see below), a measure of stress which should always be observed; my, mine, etc.; Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon   mine, of me; favourable to me; relating to me

 

 

No comments: