Monday, November 13, 2017

Wisdom Principles—Confessing Sin

He will have to confess the sin committed.

Then they shall admit their guilt and that of their ancestors and their infidelities against me, and further, their setting themselves against me. 41 … Then their uncircumcised hearts will grow humble and then they will accept the punishment for their guilt.42I shall remember my covenant with Jacob, I shall remember my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham; and I shall remember the country too.

The person must confess the sin committed

Balaam said to the angel of Yahweh, 'I have sinned. I did not know you were standing in the road to stop me. But if what I am doing displeases you, I will go home again.' 35The angel of Yahweh said to Balaam, 'Go with these men, but say only what I tell you to say.' So Balaam went on with the chiefs sent by Balak.

David said to Nathan, 'I have sinned against Yahweh.' Nathan then said to David, 'Yahweh, for his part, forgives your sin; you are not to die.

But afterwards David's heart misgave him for having taken a census of the people. David then said to Yahweh, 'I have committed a grave sin by doing this. But now, Yahweh, I beg you to forgive your servant for this fault, for I have acted very foolishly.'

When they sin against you -- for there is no one who does not sin -- and you are angry with them … if they come … and repent and entreat you … saying, "We have sinned, we have acted perversely and wickedly," 48and turn back to you with all their heart … and pray to you49listen to their prayer and their entreaty from the place where you reside in heaven, uphold their case, 50forgive your people for having sinned against you and for all the crimes against you of which they have been guilty

I admit the sins of the Israelites, which we have committed against you. Both I and my father's House have sinned; 7we have acted very wickedly towards you by not keeping the commandments, laws and rulings which you enjoined on your servant Moses. 8Remember, I beg you, the promise which you solemnly made to your servant Moses, "If you are unfaithful, I shall scatter you among the peoples;9but if you come back to me and keep my commandments and practice them, even though those who have been banished are at the very sky's end, I shall gather them from there and bring them back to the place which I have chosen as a dwelling-place for my name."

I said not a word, but my bones wasted away from groaning all the day; 4day and night your hand lay heavy upon me; my heart grew parched as stubble in summer drought. 5I made my sin known to you, did not conceal my guilt. I said, 'I shall confess my offence to Yahweh.' And you, for your part, took away my guilt, forgave my sin. 6That is why each of your faithful ones prays to you in time of distress.

I make no secret of my guilt, I am anxious at the thought of my sin.
Psalm 51:3-4, 10
For I am well aware of my offences, my sin is constantly in mind. 4Against you, you alone, I have sinned, I have done what you see to be wrong
***
10God, create in me a clean heart, renew within me a resolute spirit

Sacrifice to God is a broken spirit, a broken, contrite heart you never scorn.

No one who conceals his sins will prosper, whoever confesses and renounces them will find mercy.

Do not be ashamed to confess your sins, do not struggle against the current of the river.

Come back, disloyal Israel, Yahweh declares, I shall frown on you no more, since I am merciful, Yahweh declares. I shall not keep my anger for ever.13Only acknowledge your guilt: how you have rebelled against Yahweh your God, how you have prostituted yourself with the Strangers under every green tree and have not listened to my voice, Yahweh declares.14"Come back, disloyal children, Yahweh declares, for I alone am your Master, and I will take you, one from a town, two from a family, and bring you to Zion.15I shall give you shepherds after my own heart, who will pasture you wisely and discreetly.

Daniel 9:20-22
I was still speaking, still at prayer, confessing my own sins and the sins of my people Israel, and placing my plea before Yahweh my God for the holy mountain of my God, 21still speaking, still at prayer, when Gabriel, the being I had originally seen in vision, swooped on me in full flight at the hour of the evening sacrifice. 22He came, he spoke he said to me, 'Now, Daniel; I have come down to teach you how to understand.


I shall go back to my place until they confess their guilt and seek me, seek me eagerly in their distress. 1Come, let us return to Yahweh. He has rent us and he will heal us; he has struck us and he will bind up our wounds; 2after two days he will revive us, on the third day he will raise us up and we shall live in his presence. 3Let us know, let us strive to know Yahweh; that he will come is as certain as the dawn. He will come to us like a shower, like the rain of springtime to the earth.

Then he came to his senses and said18”I will leave this place and go to my father and say: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; 19I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired men."
***
21Then his son said, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son."22But the father said to his servants, "Quick! Bring out the best robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

He spoke the following parable to some people who prided themselves on being upright and despised everyone else, 10'Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood there and said this prayer to himself, "I thank you, God, that I am not grasping, unjust, adulterous like everyone else, and particularly that I am not like this tax collector here. 12I fast twice a week; I pay tithes on all I get." 13The tax collector stood some distance away, not daring even to raise his eyes to heaven; but he beat his breast and said, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." 14This man, I tell you, went home again justified; the other did not. For everyone who raises himself up will be humbled, but anyone who humbles himself will be raised up.'

If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven. 16So confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another to be cured; the heartfelt prayer of someone upright works very powerfully.

1 John 1:8-9
If we say, 'We have no sin,' we are deceiving ourselves, and truth has no place in us; 9 if we acknowledge our sins, he is trustworthy and upright, so that he will forgive our sins and will cleanse us from all evil.


No comments: