Sunday, October 25, 2020

Readings for October 25,2020 annotated, lectionary 148

This translation is from the New American Bible. The bolded hyperlinks  will take you to additional translations or collections/discussions of other scriptures addressing related principles. The entire chapter is included to provide context. 

Information about the meaning of the original Hebrew of Greek of italicized  words is provided in blue beneath each reading. 

Text highlighted in yellow tells us something about God’s nature or our relationship to Him. 

Text in green tells us about something God wants us to do. 

Text in red  describes what God tells us not to do. 

Reading 1 

Exodus 22:20-26

Thus says the LORD:
"You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.  You shall not wrong any widow or orphan.  If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry.  My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.

"If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people, you shall not act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest from him. 

If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge, you shall return it to him before sunset; for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body.  What else has he to sleep in? If he cries out to me, I will hear him; for I am compassionate."

Molest = יָנָה = yanah

Blue Letter Bible

to oppress, suppress, treat violently, maltreat, vex, do wrong

Oppress = לָחַץ = lachats

Blue Letter Bible

to squeeze, press;afflict, crush, force, hold fast

Wrong = עָנָה = `anah

Blue Letter Bible

to afflict, oppress, humble, be afflicted, be bowed down; mishandle;hurt, ravish; abase, weaken; to bestow labor upon

Compassionate = חַנּוּן = channuwn

Blue Letter Bible

Gracious, benignant   

Additional scriptures addressing these principles are collected at Wisdom Principles: Caring For the Weak & Vulnerable
 

Responsorial Psalm 

Psalm 18:2-3, 3-4, 47

R. (2) I love you, Lord, my strength.

I love you, O LORD, my strength, O LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer.


R. I love you, Lord, my strength.
My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies.


R. I love you, Lord, my strength.
The LORD lives and blessed be my rock! Extolled be God my savior.
You who gave great victories to your king and showed kindness to your anointed.
R. I love you, Lord, my strength.

Reading 2 

1 Thessalonians 1:5-10

Brothers and sisters:
You know what sort of people we were among you for your sake.  And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, receiving the word in great affliction, with joy from the Holy Spirit, so that you became a model for all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth not only in Macedonia and in Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything.  For they themselves openly declare about us what sort of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God and to await his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus, who delivers us from the coming wrath.
 

Alleluia 

John 14:23

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Whoever loves me will keep my word, says the Lord, and my Father will love him and we will come to him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel 

Matthew 22:34-40

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them, a scholar of the law tested him by asking, "Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" 

He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall loveyour neighbor as yourself.  The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Love = γαπω = agapaō

Blue Letter Bible

to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of, to love dearly; to be well pleased, to be contented at or with a thing; to have a preference for, wish well to, regard the welfare of; to take pleasure in the thing, prize it above other things, be unwilling to abandon it or do without it; to welcome with desire, long for; 

not an impulse from the feelings, it does not always run with the natural inclinations, nor does it spend itself only upon those for whom some affinity is discovered; Love seeks the welfare of all, and works no ill to any; love seeks opportunity to do good to all men; the deep and constant love and interest of a perfect Being towards entirely unworthy objects, producing and fostering a reverential love in them towards the Giver, and a practical love towards those who are partakers of the same

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

Greet with affection, show affection; to be fond of, prize, desire; to be well pleased, contented

All = λος = holos

Blue Letter Bible

all, whole, complete

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon 

whole, entire, complete in all its parts; entire, utter 

Heart = καρδα = kardia

Blue Letter Bible

man's entire mental and moral activity, both the rational and the emotional elements; used figuratively for the hidden springs of the personal life; the seat of moral nature and spiritual life;the vigour and sense of physical life; the centre and seat of spiritual life; seat of the thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavours; the faculty and seat of the intelligence; the will and character; the seat of the sensibilities, affections, emotions, desires, appetites, passions; the middle or central or inmost part of anything; will and character

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon 

the seat of feeling and passion; inclination, desire, purpose

Soul =ψυχή = psyche 

Blue Letter Bible

the seat of personality; the breath of life; the vital force which animates the body; the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions 

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

Life; the conscious self or personality as centre of emotions, desires, and affections; various aspects of the self; Psyche

Mind = δινοια = dianoia

Blue Letter Bible

the faculty of thinking;" then, "of knowing;" hence, "the understanding," and in general, "the mind," and so, "the faculty of moral reflection;""a thinking through, or over, a meditation, reflecting;” faculty of understanding, feeling, desiring; way of thinking and feeling; imagination

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon 

thought, i.e. intention, purpose; process of thinking, thought; discursive thought; thinking faculty, intelligence, understanding; intellectual capacity 

Neighbor = πλησον = plēsion  

Blue Letter Bible

near, close by, neighboring;  any other person, and where two are concerned, the other; fellow; There were no farmhouses scattered over the agricultural areas of Palestine; the populations, gathered in villages, went to and fro to their toil. Hence domestic life was touched at every point by a wide circle of neighborhood. The terms for neighbor were therefore of a very comprehensive scope.

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

near, close to 

***

What these readings tell us about God and His ways:

If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry

My wrath will flare up

for I am compassionate

Lord, my strength.
my strength

my rock

my fortress

my deliverer.
Lord, my strength.
my rock of refuge

my shield

the horn of my salvation

my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD

Lord, my strength.
The LORD lives

blessed be my rock!

Extolled be God my savior.
You who gave great victories

showed kindness to your anointed.
Lord, my strength.

receiving the word in great affliction, with joy from the Holy Spirit

he raised from the dead

Jesus, who delivers us from the coming wrath.

my Father will love him and we will come to him.

The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments

 

What these readings tell us to do:

lend money to one of your poor 

If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge, you shall return it to him before sunset

love you

became imitators of us and of the Lord

receiving the word in great affliction, with joy from the Holy Spirit

became a model for all the believers

from you the word of the Lord has sounded 

you turned to God from idols to 

serve the living and true God

await his Son from heaven

loves me 

keep my word

love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind

love your neighbor as yourself

 

What these readings tell us not to do:

molest or oppress an alien

wrong any widow or orphan

act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest 

tested him 

No comments: