Sunday, August 28, 2022

Jeremiah 31:31-34 annotated

The bolded scriptural citation will take you to additional translations. The entire chapter is included to provide context. 

 

Information about the meaning the original Hebrew of what seem to be key words is provided in blue.  

 

Excerpts collected in yellow  below post tell us something about God’s nature or our relationship to Him. 

 

Excerpts collected in green  below tell us about something God wants us to do. 

 

Collections of scriptures dealing principles similar to those addressed here are hyperlinked at the end of this post.

 

Jeremiah 31:31-34

The days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they broke my covenant, and I had to show myself their master, says the LORD.

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD. I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer will they have need to teach their friends and relatives how to know the LORD. All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the LORD, for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more.

 

put = נָתַן = nāṯan Blue Letter Bible to give, bestow, grant; consecrate, dedicate; entrust, give over, deliver up; yield produce; be (healed); pour; print; teach; to apply the heart to; to constitute, to make a thing like or similar to

 

within= קֶרֶב = qereḇ Blue Letter Bible midst, among, inner part, middle; inward part; as seat of thought and emotion; entrails (of sacrificial animals); the nearest part, i.e. the center, whether literal, figurative or adverbial (especially with preposition); heart; the interior; the inside of the body, the bowels; the heart or mind

 

write =כָּתַב = kāṯaḇ Blue Letter Bible inscribe, engrave, write in, write on; to register, enroll, record; prescribe, direct in writing; describe, to decree

 

hearts= לֵב = lēḇ Blue Letter Bible inner man, mind, will, understanding; midst; soul; mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory; inclination, resolution, determination (of will); conscience; seat of appetites, emotions, passions, courage; feelings, the will and even the intellect; the centre of anything

 

know =יָדַע= yāḏaʿ Blue Letter Bible  to perceive and see, find out and discern; to discriminate, distinguish; to know by experience; to recognize; be acquainted with; to know (a person carnally); to know how, be skillful in; to have knowledge, be wise;  to be made known, be or become known, be revealed; to be instructed; privy to; seeing; observe with the eyes; be aware of; to get to know, discover; to turn the mind to anything, to care about, to see about

 

 

What this tells us about God’s nature or our relationship to Him:

I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts

I will be their God, and they shall be my people

All, from least to greatest, shall know me

I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more.

 

What this tells us to do:

know me

 

 

Scriptures addressing similar principles can be accessed at: 

 

Wisdom Principles—God Loves and Calls Us to Him, In Spite of our Sin 

 

Wisdom Principles: We Receive Great Blessings If We Seriously Study God’s Ways and Put Them into Practice

 

 

No comments: