Thursday, August 20, 2015

Lectionary 422 Memorial of Saint Bernard, Abbot and Doctor of the Church


Key
Bold = verse commented upon
Blue = comment

29 The spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah. He passed through Gilead and Manasseh, and through Mizpah of Gilead as well, and from Mizpah of Gilead he crossed over against the Ammonites. 30 Jephthah made a vow to the Lord. “If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,” he said, 31 “whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return from the Ammonites in peace shall belong to the Lord. I shall offer him up as a burnt offering.”
32 Jephthah then crossed over against the Ammonites to fight against them, and the Lord delivered them into his power. 33 He inflicted a very severe defeat on them from Aroer to the approach of Minnith—twenty cities in all—and as far as Abel-keramin. So the Ammonites were brought into subjection by the Israelites. 34 When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came out to meet him, with tambourine-playing and dancing. She was his only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. 35 When he saw her, he tore his garments and said, “Ah, my daughter! You have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the Lord and I cannot take it back.” 36 “Father,” she replied, “you have made a vow to the Lord. Do with me as you have vowed, because the Lord has taken vengeance for you against your enemies the Ammonites.” 37 Then she said to her father, “Let me have this favor. Do nothing for two months, that I and my companions may go wander in the mountains to weep for my virginity.” 38 “Go,” he replied, and sent her away for two months. So she departed with her companions and wept for her virginity in the mountains. 39 At the end of the two months she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. She had not had relations with any man.

This is a perplexing passage. Scripture plainly condemns human sacrifice. Leviticus 18:21 & 20:2-5; Deuteronomy 12:31 & 18:10.  Perhaps the point  here is to illustrate the caution with which we should approach oaths. See Matthew 5:33-37; James 5:12; Sirach 23:9-10. Or perhaps it illustrates the futility of thinking we can add anything to God’s power by our selves; after all, v. 29 seems to indicate that the Jephthah already had God’s blessing. See Proverbs 10:22; Psalm 127:1-2; Matthew 6:25-31; Luke 12:22-31; Luke 10:40-42; John 15:5

Blessed the man who sets
 his security in the Lord,
 who turns not to the arrogant
 or to those who stray after falsehood.

You, yes you, O Lord, my God,
have done many wondrous deeds!
And in your plans for us
 there is none to equal you.
Should I wish to declare or tell them,
 too many are they to recount.Sacrifice and offering you do not want; 
 you opened my ears.
Holocaust and sin-offering you do not request;

so I said, “See; I come
 with an inscribed scroll written upon me.I delight to do your will, my God;
 your law is in my inner being!”
10 When I sing of your righteousness
 in a great assembly,
See, I do not restrain my lips;
 as you, Lord, know.

Do not harden your hearts as at Meribah,
 as on the day of Massah in the desert.


Jesus again in reply spoke to them in parables, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come. A second time he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet, my calves and fattened cattle are killed, and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’ This is rich, succulent food.  It took a long time to get it ready. This is the same extravagant generosity we see in Isaiah 55 . God “cares enough to send the very best” Some ignored the invitation and went away, one to his farm, another to his business. We have to be willing to deviate from our normal routine to get the rich things God offers. Luke 10:40-42. The rest laid hold of his servants, mistreated them, and killed them. The king was enraged and sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city. Then he said to his servants, ‘The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come. Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.’ 10 The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests. Jesus welcomes all; no repentant sinner is tuned away. Matthew 9:10-13; Mark 2:15-17; Luke 5:29-31; Luke 15; John 6:37. 11 But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. 12 He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’. But he was reduced to silence. 13 Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’ God gives us a chance to address our short falls. The host here doesn’t throw the man out because of the absence of the wedding clothes, but because the man won’t respond to the opportunity to correct the problem. We too are given opportunities to correct our erring ways, and we too suffer if we fail to take advantage of them. Proverbs 1:25-26; Proverbs 1:29-31; Proverbs 12:1; Proverbs 13:1; Proverbs 29:1 14 Many are invited, but few are chosen.” Perhaps this speaks to what is expected of us after we turn to and accept Jesus. Although Jesus accepts all who sincerely repent (see v. 10 above), He expects obedience, a sincere effort to live in the ways He tells us about and models. See Matthew 7:13-23; Matthew 25:14-46; Luke 13:24; John 15:4-6

No comments: