Thursday, May 21, 2020

John 13:12-17 annotated

When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments again he went back to the table. 'Do you understand', he said, 'what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you must wash each other's feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you. 'In all truth I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, no messenger is greater than the one who sent him.' Now that you know this, blessed are you if you behave accordingly.

understand= γινώσκω = ginōskō
to be taking in knowledge, to come to know, recognize, understand, or to understand completely;in its past tenses it frequently means to know in the sense of realizing; indicates a relation between the person "knowing" and the object known; in this respect, what is "known" is of value or importance to the one who knows; suggests approval and bears the meaning to be approved;to know by observation and experience

exampleπόδειγμα = hypodeigma
an example for imitation; that which is shown; representation, figure, copy; an exhibit for imitation or warning (figuratively, specimen, adumbration); a sign suggestive of anything

No comments: