Sunday, April 05, 2020

Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion; Readings for April 5, 2020 annotated

The bolded hyperlinks will take you to additional translations of the scriptures cited. The other hyperlinks will take you to explanations of original Hebrew or Greek words.

At the Procession with Palms YEAR A: Matthew 21:1-11  
When Jesus and the disciples drew near Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find an ass tethered, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them here to me. And if anyone should say anything to you, reply, ‘The master has need of them.’ Then he will send them at once.” 

This happened so that what had been spoken through the prophet might be fulfilled: Say to daughter Zion, “Behold, your king comes to you, meek and riding on an ass, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.” 

The disciples went and did as Jesus had ordered them. They brought the ass and the colt and laid their cloaks over them, and he sat upon them.

The very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and strewed them on the road. The crowds preceding him and those following kept crying out and saying: “ Hosanna  to the Son of David; blessed is the he who comes in the name of the Lord; hosanna in the highest.” 

And when he entered Jerusalem the whole city was shaken and asked, “Who is this?” And the crowds replied, “This is Jesus the prophet, from Nazareth in Galilee.”

Beholdδού = idou = ē-dü'
Imperative moods, Active and Middle Voices, respectively, of eidon, "to see," calling attention to what may be seen or heard or mentally apprehended in any way.
giving a peculiar vivacity to the style by bidding the reader or hearer to attend to what is said

king= βασιλεύς = basileus = bä-sē-lyü's
leader of the people, prince, commander, lord of the land

comesρχομαι =erchomai = e'r-kho-mī
denoting either "to come, or to go," signifies the act, in contrast with heko, which stresses the arrival, as, e.g., "I am come and am here"
to come from one place to another

meek= πραΰς = prays = prä-ü's
denotes "gentle, mild, meek"
"gentle, of a soothing disposition"
humble
mildness of disposition, gentleness of spirit
Christ uses it of His own disposition, Mat 11:29; He gives it in the third of His Beatitudes

Hosannaσαννά = hosanna = hō-sän-nä'
means "save, we pray." The word seems to have become an utterance of praise rather than of prayer, though originally, probably, a cry for help.


At the Mass:Isaiah 50:4-7   
The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to speak to the weary  a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning he 
opens my ear that I may hear; and I have not rebelled, have not turned back.
gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.
The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced;
I have 
set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

wearyיָעֵף= ya`ĕph = yä·āf 
faint, weary, fatigued
figuratively, exhausted

rouseעוּת = `uwth = üth
to hasten to, help, succour

hearשָׁמַע = shama`= shä·mah' 
to hear, listen to, obey
to hear with attention or interest, listen to
to listen, give heed
yield to
to obey, be obedient

opensפָּתַח = pathach = pä·thakh'
to be opened, be let loose, be thrown open
to free
to loosen

rebelledמָרָה = marah = mä·rä' 
to be contentious, be rebellious, be refractory, be disobedient towards, be rebellious against

turned backסוּג = cuwg = süg
to move, go, turn back, move away, backslide
prove recreant to
to turn oneself away
to be turned or driven back, be repulsed

gaveנָתַן = Nathan = nä·than'
to give, bestow, grant, permit ... devote, consecrate, dedicate... lend, commit, entrust, give over, deliver up ... stretch out, extend

helpעָזַר = `azar = ä·zar' 
help, succour, support
protect or aid

setשׂוּם = suwm = süm
to put, place, set, appoint, make
ordain, establish, found, appoint, constitute, make, determine, fix
set in place, plant

knowingיָדַע = yada` = yä·dah'
to know, learn to know
find out and discern
to know by experience
to have knowledge, be wise

Responsorial Psalm” Psalm 22:8-9, 17-18, 19-20, 23-24  
R. (2a) MyGod, my God, why have you abandoned me?
All who see me scoff at me; they mock me with parted lips, they wag their heads: "He relied on the LORD; let him deliver him, let him rescue him, if he loves him."
R. My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
Indeed, many dogs surround me, a pack of evildoers closes in upon me;
They have pierced my hands and my feet; I can count all my bones.
R. My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
They divide my garments among them, and for my vesture they cast lots.
But you, O LORD, be not far from me; O my help, hasten to aid me.
R. My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
I will proclaim your name to my brethren; in the midst of the assembly I will praise you: "You who fear the LORD, praisehim; all you descendants of Jacob, give  glory to him; revere him, all you descendants of Israel!"
R. My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?

helpאֱיָלוּת = 'eyaluwth = eh·yä·lüth'
strength, my help

aidעֶזְרָה = `ezrah = ez·rä'
help, succour, assistance

proclaimסָפַר = caphar = sä·far'
recount, relate
to recount (something)

praiseהָלַל = halal = hä·lal'
to shine
to flash forth light
to praise, boast, be boastful
glory

fearיָרֵא = yare' = yä·rā'
revere, be afraid
to stand in awe of, be awed
reverence, honour, respect

gloryכָּבַד = kabad = kä·vad'
to be heavy, be weighty, be grievous, be hard, be rich, be honourable, be glorious, be burdensome, be honoured
to be made heavy, be honoured, enjoy honour, be made abundant

revereגּוּר = guwr = gür
to sojourn, abide, dwell in, dwell with, remain, inhabit
to dread, fear, stand in awe, be afraid

Reading 2: Philippians 2:6-11  
Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

form= μορφή = morphē = mor-fā'
denotes "the special or characteristic form or feature" of a person or thing;
the nature or essence, not in the abstract, but as actually subsisting in the individual, and retained as long as the individual itself exists
it includes the whole nature and essence

equalityσος = isos = ē'-sos
"the same in size, number, quality,"
equal, in quantity or quality

graspedρπαγμός = harpagmos = här-päg-mo's
"to seize, carry off by force,"
"a thing held as a prize."
to be held fast, retained

emptied= κενόω = keno = ke-no'-ō
"to make empty, to empty," is translated "should be made of none effect"
"made... of no reputation."
"to empty, make of no effect,"

humbled= ταπεινόω = tapeinoō =tä-pā-no'-ō
 "to make low, bring low,"
bringing to the ground, making level, reducing to a plain
to bring to a humble condition, "to abase," 2Cr 11:7, and in the Passive, "to be abased,"
to lower, depress
to behave in an unassuming manner
devoid of all haughtiness
obedientπήκοος = hypēkoos = hü-pā'-ko-os
giving ear, obedient

greatly exaltedπερυψόω = hyperypsoō = hü-per-ü-pso'-ō
to exalt to the highest rank and power, raise to supreme majesty
to extol most highly
to be lifted up with pride, exalted beyond measure

nameνομα = onoma = o'-no-mä
all that a "name" implies, of authority, character, rank, majesty, power, excellence, etc., of everything that the "name" covers:
the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.

bend= κάμπτω = kamptō = kä'mp-tō
to bend, bow
in honour of one
in religious veneration
to bow one's self

confessξομολογέω = exomologeō = eks-o-mo-lo-ge'-ō
"of a public acknowledgment”
"to profess or acknowledge openly,"
"to confess by way of celebrating, giving praise,"
"to agree openly, to acknowledge outwardly, or fully"
to celebrate, give praise to

Lord= κύριος = kyrios = kü'-rē-os
signifying "having power" (kuros) or "authority," is used as a noun, variously translated in the NT, "'Lord,' 'master,' 'Master,' 'owner,' 'Sir,'
of a master, i.e., one to whom service is due on any ground
"a lord, one who exercises power," is translated "masters"
"one having power" (kuros) or "authority, a lord, master," signifies "an owner"
he to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master, lord
the possessor and disposer of a thing
is a title of honour expressive of respect and reverence, with which servants greet their master

No comments: